Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Cinco De Mayo!


We take a break from our mushroomy goodness for CINCO de MAYO!

Today I'll be wearing my new FIESTA apron while cooking my famous *chicken enchiladas!
Oh...and of course, I'll be whipping up at least one cheater margariter!

What about you?

*Here is my chicken enchilada recipe for anyone interested! It makes 12 chicken enchiladas.

3 chicken breasts
1 diced onion
3 cloves garlic
1/2 stick margarine
1 large can crushed tomatos
1 small can tomato sauce
1 small can diced green chilis
Sour cream (1-1/2 cups)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
(start off with 1/2 tsp of each seasoning and taste it first!)
Flour tortillas
Shredded cheeses...packaged works fine in a pinch.

Boil 3 chicken breasts with an onion and a bit of red wine.
Cool. Shred meat. Set aside.

For the sauce:
In a large skillet, melt margarine and saute onion and garlic until transparent.
Add all other ingredients EXCEPT SOUR CREAM and bring to a boil for just a moment. Then turn to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. (The longer, the better, just stir every now and then so it doesn't stick.)
Right before pouring over the enchiladas, add the sour cream. Taste it, you want it tangy. I start with 1/2 cup and add more as needed until I get it just where I want it.

Take a flour tortilla and put about 2 tablespoons of chicken on it. Then top with the same amount of shredded cheese. Roll on itself and secure with a toothpick. Put in a large baking dish sprayed with PAM, toothpick side down.
Continue with all the tortillas until all the chicken is gone.

Pour the sauce over the enchiladas and top with more shredded cheese.

Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

These freeze REALLY WELL. The trick is to freeze the enchiladas separately from the sauce so they don't get soggy. Then, take them out of the pan and thaw on a paper towel. Put them back in the pan and then finish the last couple of steps!
I make these for dinner parties and they are always a hit.

OLE!

5 comments:

Kathy - mom of many said...

I'll fix chicken enchiladas tonight. That's probably all the "Mexican" I can muster up today. My children have their end-of-year testing today and I'll visit my mom at the hospital.
Wish I had my fiesta apron, but I do see that it has been sent so maybe there is hope it will arrive this week.

mysteryhistorymom said...

Fiesta! I wish I could be there celebrating with you, Sweets! You are going to look so cute in your new apron.:)

Thanks so much for the darling mystery book mark! I love it and it is happily sitting in my Nancy Drew book as I write. You are so sweet, Val!

Tonight is the play. I am sooooo nervous for Mandy. Please say a little prayer for her when you get a second... Lori

ross said...

Tienes un blog muy lindo y las enchiladas me encantan.

manda said...

I know it's off topic for this post, but you gotta go check this out -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/poshplushies/3303777821/

Have a look at her other works while you're there. So fun!

dkuroiwa said...

I'm printing this out right now so I can go grocery shopping to get ingredients so I can make this for tonight! i have one small can of green chilis that i have been saving...saving for something special and this is it!! (no, we can't normally get green chilis here, these were sent from the states!!).
thanks so much for posting this!! i already know I'm going to love them!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...